Sunday, July 6, 2008

Yeah! Sunday!

I love Sundays. It's such a blessing to have a day to put the things of the world aside and just rest. And the first Sunday of each month is extra special. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the "Mormons") we fast from food and drink for 2 meals and then donate the money we would have spent on food to the church to feed the poor. Most of the money goes to people who live in our immediate area. Any left-overs (I know, it's a bad food pun.) are collected and sent world-wide to those in need. I like it because I can sacrifice for someone else even if I don't have any extra money. By donating what I would have spent anyway, it is a true sacrifice because I don't eat.

And I've always felt that fasting is a cleansing for body and spirit. Our main church meeting on Sundays is Sacrament Meeting. We gather as saints and sing and pray, partake of the Lord's sacrament and renew our covenents that we made at baptism. We believe that when we truly repent of what we do wrong, our Heavenly Father will forgive us. This is made possible by the atonement of the Savior, Jesus Christ. When I take the sacrament, I try to think of the things that I am repenting of and ask for forgiveness and strength to do better in the coming week. Making myself a better person with Christ's help has brought me a lot of peace in my life, and a lot of strength.

So, why are we sometimes called "Mormons"? Mormon was an ancient prophet who taught his people about Christ and how they could grow closer to Him and our Heavenly Father. The record of his teachings and the teachings of other ancient prophets are combined in a book called the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. We use it along with the Bible as our scriptures. Because of this, some people years back started calling us Mormons. We are Christians because we follow Christ, but Mormon isn't a bad thing either since the prophet Mormon was a great man who taught his people to follow Christ too. The correct way to refer to us as a collective people though is Latter-Day Saints. Sometimes people get confused and think we worship Mormon or Joseph Smith. Though both are great prophets, we don't worship either of them. We worship only our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, His son.

So Sunday is here again and I'm happy to rest. I did a lot yesterday. Cleaned out the fridge and boy was it gross!!! I also weeded out in the garden in the morning and evening when it had cooled down some. Weeded out the front flowerbed, washed a load of dishes and 2 loads of laundry. Washed the dog since she decided to roll in something gross. Ewww!!! I went into town and stopped at several different places to do some shopping etc. After I got home about 9:30, we did some family fireworks. Then off to bed! No wonder I love Sundays! Time to rest from all that work! LOL

It's off to church here in a few hours and then I'm headed for a nap this afternoon. Yippee!!!

No comments: